Thanks for your interest in the Vincenzo & Son Bristol MX5 Challenge. The season gets underway in March and there’s a few things you need to have ready if you plan to compete.
- The car! Any MX5 is suitable, provided it’s a road car and adheres to the rules in section S of the MSA’s yearbook (download a copy from www.msauk.org). What’s most likely to catch you out is if you strip the car of all its interior – that’s not allowed. We don’t allow forced induction (turbos/superchargers) and tyres must be on list 1A (see the yearbook), which means none of the really sticky trackday tyres. Please try to keep modifications to a minimum – the essence of this championship is that a standard car can win.
- A helmet, race suit and gloves. A motorcycle helmet is not acceptable. All three must be to the standards in the MSA’s yearbook (essentially SNELL 2010/2015 for the helmet and Nomex suit/gloves).
- A non-race National B licence. You can order this from the MSA’s website. It arrives in a couple of weeks, so don’t leave it until the 16th March before ordering!
- Bristol Motor Club membership. This is because of the Clubman status of the championship. It’s only £20/year though and you get a great magazine every couple of months too http://bristolmc.org.uk/join-us/
If you’re in need of the safety gear, then I’d recommend a trip to Autosport International at the NEC in a fortnight. All the major players will be there and you can bag a good deal by buying the whole lot at once. Most importantly, it’s one of the few times you can try practically every helmet on for size – your head will probably fit one brand best.
If in doubt about anything, then just get in touch. A good bunch of last year’s competitors are usually hung around the bar at club night and there’s normally an MX5 crew discussing whether Michelin tyres are really worth the premium over Nankangs…
The following events are rounds of the championship and your best 4 scores will count. You can do as many or as few events as you wish.
- Saturday 5th March: Spring AutoSolo (Chepstow)
- Saturday 19th March: Great Western Sprint, Castle Combe Circuit (1.75 laps)
- Saturday 7th May: Llandow Sprint (1.75 laps)
- Sunday 19th June: Summer AutoSolo (Chepstow)
- Saturday 23rd July: Dick Mayo Sprint, Castle Combe Circuit (0.75 laps)