Facts about Castle Combe

  • Having been used during the war years as an air training site, the Circuit held its first meeting on 7/7/50 run by Bristol MC&LCC.
  • The circuit ran Fl and F2 races until the 1955 Le Mans disaster.
  • Owners unable to fund required safety system so closed for car racing. Became mecca for motorcycle racing and sprints.
  • In 1962, the safety work was completed, funded by the BRSCC.
  • Owner AFN’s application for permanent planning permission, needed to fund resurfacing, rejected. Appeal lost, restricting use to 21 days p.a. with closure by the end of 1971.
  • 1968 MCD’s John Webb sublets the circuit bringing it some of its best motorsport.
  • Temporary permission sought again in 1971, tied in with AFN’s new owners, Porsche GMBH’s search for a new import centre with test track. 5 days p.a. granted, but with all other uses rejected; circuit could not survive on 5 days p.a. and was sold to Howard Strawford.
  • In 1980 Castle Combe Racing School was born, initially for training and testing days; James Hunt was used as expert witness in a planning appeal.
  • Adjoining land was added including Kents Bottom Farm and Old Paddock area, later developed as a Skid Pan, Kart Track and FWD course.
  • Further planning battles in the 90s took usage to 250 days a year, including 12 race days.
  • In 1999, four new corners were added in first configuration change. The old lap record was held by Nigel Greensall Tyrrell Fl 022 at 50.59 secs 130.93mph. The new circuit record is* held by Bob Light in his B6 sports car at 1.03.389 105.07 mph.

(*From the MSA publication ‘Wheels’ May 2000, on the circuit’s 50th anniversary)

For more current information please visit the Castle Combe website